Friday, September 2, 2011

Bench

I have wanted a bench for my dining room for a long time.  It has been difficult to find one that is big enough, I have a 10 foot long dining table.
I finally found one at the salvage yard that was perfect, well the perfect length, but needed a lot of work.



Some odd person nailed linoleum on the top...............................with a thousand nails by the way.  The backing of the linoleum was stuck to the bench and I had to scape it all off, which took forever.

but.....................
I think it turned out great.

I stripped the top and used an ebony wax.  I like Briwax the best. 
I sanded it all over, leaving the paint on the bottom, then coating it with Tung Oil.




I love how it looks in the dining room with our bowling lane table.

I am linking up to 


7 comments:

  1. What a great find...at first I thought it was rusty metal on top until I read your post more. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great find...love the way she looks with your table. Hop over and show her off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY PARTY.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's absolutely beautiful~ your bench turned out so charming after all that work! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out fabulous! I love old pieces of furniture like this. Great job on it!
    Thank you for joining me at HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bench Melanie and your dining room is gorgeous - you've done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, I want one!! When you have to do more work to a piece, doesn't it make you just love it all the more?!

    ReplyDelete