Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall (or leaning on the wall)

So first I have to tell you, I love finding old frames and giving them a "new" life as you saw me do here.  Just in case you were questioning, I mean an "old look" life.

If you have been reading this blog you know that I love old things, especially things that are falling apart or are in need of some TLC.

Anyway I had this frame and I wanted to put a mirror in it, but I did not want an ordinary mirror.  I wanted it to look like this mirror I saw online:




Not the frame, but the cut mirrors with the rosettes.
I had to fix up my frame a little, it was dirty and needed some mending.




I bought a package of mirror tile from here, then I antiqued them like in this post.  
This time I painted the back of the mirrors with black craft paint.



I scrubbed the frame and put a coat of tung oil on it.  I wanted it to be shiny for easy cleaning, but not to look new.  



I glued the mirrors on a board I had in my garage, I used Liquid Nails for mirrors.  I put it in the frame and Voila!  



I tried to find the rosettes everywhere.  I must have went into every hardware, craft and glass store in my city.  They only had the plastic or metal kind and I wanted glass.  I finally turned to Ebay and found exactly what I wanted.......... 




The rosettes are typically installed with screws into cut corners on the mirror, but I super glued mine on and added a tiny tack in the middle. 



Here she is in all of here glory....



I am linking up to these sites:




2 comments:

  1. I love it, the rosettes are a perfect touch! Thanks for sharing at Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete