Friday, February 3, 2012

Sideboard

I received a few emails about the finish on my sideboard and some wanted a few detailed pictures of it.  
This sideboard came from my mother-in-law.  As I stated in the previous post it was in bad condition, but I loved, loved its sexy legs and the storage possibilities.  I knew that I was not going to be using it in the dining room and that it would be perfect for the front room.


The finish was bad and I did not have the patience to restore it or the resources at the time, so I painted it and replaced the top with vintage Carrara marble.  At the time, 7 years ago, I liked the crackle finish that was popular, but I did not like the preciseness of it.  I wanted it to look more random and worn.



  So when I painted it,  I sprayed it with water in a spray bottle and used a paint sprayer with white paint.  The water made it so the paint didn't stick everywhere and sort of ran a little.  I loved the look of it, so it stayed.  
The marble top was from the salvage yard that I worked at.  It was taken from an old building, where it was used as wainscoting, nice!  We, my husband and I cut it down to fit.  The pulls and knobs are from Potter Barn in bronze, these were only changed because the originals were broken and one was missing.  




Like I said in the original post, it stores candles, accessories, and pillow covers.



  It is very practical and beautiful!

20 comments:

  1. It's so pretty~ such a beautiful piece and the finish is perfect! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie,

    Wow, what a beautiful sideboard! You did a fantastic job!!! :) Visiting from The Vintage Farmhouse - thanks for sharing your lovely project! :) Take care and have a great weekend!


    XOXO's,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful with tons of character and sentiment.
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the finish on that piece! Okay, you girls are making me want to paint all of my furniture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish! Thank you for sharing this spectacular sideboard at Potpourri Friday! Hoping you will make it a weekly party stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of spraying it with water first...what a neat idea!
    Thanks for linking up to the first "Cowgirl Up!" Linky Party!
    ♥linsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous piece and I love your vignette. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are featured today a Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopped over from Stuff & Nonsense (I think!) after I saw your sideboard featured. While the sideboard looks great, I just love that lamp! Too cute.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely gorgeous and I love everything about it, including the way you have accessorized it....magazine worthy!

    Beautiful!

    New follower :)

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie, I love old furniture, and I'm quite fond of buffets and sideboards. But I'm just LUSTING for that vent lamp ! AWESOME ! Did you make this yourself ? If so, could you send the original link, if it's on your blog ? thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this finish!!! I'm inspired!! I like your arrangement as well! new follower....:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patty,
    Thank you! I did make the vent lamp myself. I did it along time ago, before I had a blog, so sorry no post. My mom wants one as well, I have been trying to track down a rusty turbin, but they are hard to find. When I get one and start making it, I will do a post.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Janis, sorry I couldn't reply back to you through email.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! The buffet and the vignette are both stunning!

    Looking forward to seeing more as a new follower.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE the lamp! Did you put it together yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did Natalia, it is an old steel wind turbin.
    Sorry, I could not email back to you, it said no reply.
    Thanks for looking,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete